This time around there was no "Thunder Cats A Go!" or any other catch phrase to indicate that my water had broken. Everything was a lot more relaxed and scheduled out this time around. I have to admit; it was a little weird knowing the exact date I would have the baby a few weeks in advance. Last time we were worrying about me going into labor right in the middle of one of Nate's finals, but this time we knew the baby would come a couple of days before Nate started taking his tests. The only down side is that I couldn't have anything to eat or drink after midnight. When I am pregnant, I drink water like a fish and can never seem to quench my thirst. I literally stayed up and had my last swig of water at 11:59 PM. (But to be perfectly honest, I had a little sip after I brushed my teeth around 12:15 but shhh, don't tell my doctor!)
I had already been to the hospital the day before to receive my hospital bracelet complete with blood type and known allergies. The C-Section was scheduled for 10:00 AM, so I was wagering on having a baby at 10:15. Nate, being a little more practical, said the hospital would be running behind, and that I probably wouldn't have the baby until closer to 11:30. Chalk one up in the win column for Nate as Hudson made his debut shortly before noon.
Nate had another 'deer in the head lights' experience in the delivery room. This time one of the delivery nurses asked Nate if he would like to watch the baby come out. Nate's face went pale and he vehemently shook his head no. He probably was envisioning a gremlin type creature clawing its way out of my stomach. Even with all the drugs in my system, or perhaps because of all the drugs in my system, I found this hilarious. When Hudson came out and gave that first little cry, my heart just melted and this tiny little guy will forever hold a piece of it. I can't describe how wonderful those first cries are and perhaps only other mothers can understand why. Hudson came out weighing 7 pounds 9 ounces just one ounce off of my guess. Nate predicted a baby over 8 pounds. Chalk one up for me.
The best advice we have every received, and have since passed it along to all my siblings, was from my nurse anesthesiologist who suggested that the new baby have a "gift" for their older sibling during their first meeting. We had a little Piglet stuffed animal doll in the closet that we had not gotten around to giving Brynlee yet, so I suggested that Nate bring that over when he brought Bryn and my mom over. Hudson and I were able to relax in our room while Nate went to get the family. After waiting in the hall while Nate brought Piglet in, Brynlee ventured into the room tightly grasping her grandma's hand. When she got inside the room I said, "Brynlee, this is baby Hudson. He brought you a present because he loves you." She took one look at the stuffed animal and with wide eyes said, "Love Piglet! Oh thank you, Hudson!" From that moment on, she has been completely and undeniably in love with her little brother. She still feels it necessary to remind us that "Hudson gave Piglet to Brinnie."

We stayed in the hospital for three days where I began a torrid love affair with their cinnamon rolls. The hospital I stayed in had a room service menu allowing you to choose your meals. I seriously ordered a cinnamon roll with every meal. During one dinner, the room service worker called me back and apologized because my meal would be fifteen minutes late. They were waiting for the cinnamon rolls to come out of the oven. I graciously told her that was no problem at all and to bring a second cinnamon roll! When it was time to leave the hospital, I had them bring me a cinnamon roll for the road. They didn't have to know that I only lived two miles up the road. It was great to be home and in my own bed even though I was going through cinnamon roll withdrawals.
![]() |










1 comments:
You sure do have a handsome little man, who I'm sure isn't so little, but still very handsome. Congrats! And I think I might just have to go make some cinnamon rolls :) ...and that Pooh party above, ADORABLE... those piglet pops are way too fun. Such great happenings with the Burks, I expect nothing less. So fun!
Post a Comment