Apr 12, 2015

Disney on Ice

A couple of weeks ago, I heard on the radio that Disney on Ice was coming to Salt Lake City. Given my daughter's obsession with all things princess-related, I thought she would love an opportunity to see the princesses in person. Nate's dad was gracious enough to procure some tickets, and insisted we make it a "girl's day." Secretly, Mark and Nate were just trying to get out of going to the ice capades because Hudson is obviously a boy, and yet was still sent with us. So me and the grandmas were sent down to Salt Lake with the kiddos. After navigating our way through all the ridiculously expensive Disney paraphernalia, we found our seats, and with each child sitting on a lap, we settled in to watch some ice-skating.


The first story that was presented was Cinderella which was great because it happens to be one of Bryn's favorites. She watched with mild interest and on occasion would bury her head in my mom's shoulder whenever the mice would skate around. I don't blame her. Giant rodents on ice-skates are kinda creepy. 

However, as soon as Cinderella changed out of her drab maid outfit and into her beautiful blue dress, Brynlee couldn't take her eyes off of her. When the prince came out onto the rink, he dazzled the crowd with all sorts of spins and double-axle turns. After his solo routine, Prince Charming skated right up to the edge of the rink with a look of pure determination on his face. Once he reached the crowd, he broke into one of those ear-to-ear grins. With his gleaming white teeth, I swear if it had been in a cartoon, a sparkling star would have accompanied his smile. Me and the stranger sitting right next to me burst into laughter. If Prince Charming would have thrown up some jazz fingers to accompany his over the top smile, I would have fallen off my chair from laughing.



Following Cinderella, the Princess and the Frog was the next story. My kids were not interested in this one at all and thankfully once it was over, it was time for intermission. Charlene came back with a snow cone in a Disney character cup for the kids to share which mostly ended up in Hudson's hair. 

The final production this year was about Rapunzel adapted from the story "Tangled." Bryn was especially impressed when the skaters pulled a page out of the Cirque Du Soleil play books and had Rapunzel spin around in the air holding onto gold fabric that was supposed to represent her hair. 


To be honest, I had no idea what to expect when we came to Disney on Ice. I guess I should have done my research and would have been able to learn that only a few of the Disney Princess stories are represented. About every ten minutes, Bryn would lean over and ask, "Umm, Mom? Is Ariel coming soon?" The show was ending, and I tried to tell Bryn that I didn't think Ariel was coming. She gave me a look that plainly said, "Well, lady, why did you waste my time bringing me here then?"

Just then the fireworks started, and out skated every Disney Princess with their male counterpart. First Belle came out, then Tiana, followed by Jasmine, and then, punctuated by a sharp intake of breath, I knew my little girl had seen Ariel with her flaming red hair flowing behind her. 

Thankfully, the afternoon was a success, but I can safely say it will be a few years before I can steel myself to sit through another ice-skating production. Watching two hours of Disney On Ice makes me want to go home and down a beverage on ice :) Maybe next time it can be a Daddy-Daughter date. . . 




0 comments:

Post a Comment