Dec 1, 2012

Pioneer Day

Having been in Washington DC for the past three summers and realizing that July 24th is just another day, it seemed only fitting and proper that we celebrated Pioneer Day with gusto. And if gusto is what you want, then Monticello is the place to be. Oh, who am I trying to fool? While the parade and festival are fun, we all know the real reason to celebrate the 24th in Monticello is to partake of Grandma Pehrson's Navajo tacos. Just thinking about that delicious fry bread smothered in chili, cheese, and salsa is enough to make a man go to his happy place. Just ask Nate.


Because Grandma Steph was in Texas, Grandad had little Miss Bryn and Hudson all to himself. Hudson is such a sweetheart and loves any and all people. He easily made the transition to the "No Grandma Steph" weekend. Brynlee, on the other hand, took a little more convincing. My dad used the time wisely and cultivated a relationship based on treats, reading books, and letting Bryn chose the movies. Secretly, I think my dad was pleased to have Bryn all to himself. Usually when Grandma Steph is around, everyone else, myself included, become nonexistent. Being a grandparent suits him well; I don't ever remember him letting me watch Lion King eighteen times.


 The parade itself was nice. I was surprised by the amount of candy that was thrown. There was so much that kids stopped picking it up off the streets. Apparently, kids would rather go purchase their own candy from the store rather than exert the effort needed to bend down and pick it up. Sheesh. Kids these days. And while the temperature was a little on the warm side, everyone made sure to keep themselves cool with popsicles and plenty of ice cold water.




For all you uneducated folks, and I use the term loosely because until recently I was one, this tractor is one of only 10 known and functioning Emerson & Brantingham Big 4 tractors throughout the entire world. This tractor was built around 1914 and was used in the area for farming. After severe droughts and newer, sleeker models became available, this tractor fell by the wayside until a group of local tractor enthusiasts attempted to bring it back to life. A lot of money, parts, and labor were donated to restore the tractor. Kind of funny that in a small obscure Utah town lies one of the rarest tractors in the world. 


Immediately following the parade, we met up with Great Grandma and Grandad Pehrson. Brynlee was more than happy to show Grandma her loot and, while walking around the park, Grandad insisted on buying her a red balloon to tote around for the afternoon. At the Navajo Taco lunch, my Grandma spent more time with Brynlee picking berries from the strawberry patch than she did socializing with her other guests. I am so fortunate to have all four of my grandparents still alive and watching them interact with my children is priceless. 





And following a long hot day, a nice leisurely soak in the bath tub is the perfect way to cap off the day.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, its nice post about media print, we all be aware of media is a impressive source of information.
Visit my homepage :: income

Anonymous said...

Incredible! This blog looks exactly like my old one! It's on a completely different topic but it has pretty much the same page layout and design. Great choice of colors!
My web site: Cheap Tropical Fish Food

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure why but this blog is loading very slow for me. Is anyone else having this problem or is it a issue on my end? I'll check
back later and see if the problem still exists.
Take a look at my webpage ... lanautica

Anonymous said...

Hi! I'm at work browsing your blog from my new iphone 3gs! Just wanted to say I love reading through your blog and look forward to all your posts! Carry on the great work!
my webpage: Lexington Law

Post a Comment