There are about a million ways to say "I love you." Most of the time, just saying those three little words is all you need to convey how you really feel. But, sometimes, those expressions of love mean a little more when they are accompanied by little acts of kindness. Over the years, I have learned those little acts of kindness are the memories that become etched upon your heart.
Last night, I stayed up late putting together our Valentine's Day mailboxes and cutting strawberries into hearts for our Valentine's Day themed breakfast. Nate is constantly teasing me about the amount of effort I put into silly little things like holidays and birthdays. But I can't help myself. Growing up, my mom always made a big deal out things like that. Whether it was Halloween, a basketball game, or suffering defeat in the 6th grade class presidency race, I could always count on a little note and a treat from my mom. She took joy in celebrating my victories and helped console me after defeats. Those little notes were more than just notes. Those notes and little acts of kindness let me know that my mom loved me, that I was important to her, and that she was always thinking about me. While there are many things I want to copy from my mom, this idea of making little occasions into important events, is something that I strive to do with my kids.
On this particular morning, Bryn decided to sleep in. Much like Nate not being able to wait for her to get up on Christmas morning to open presents, I couldn't wait any longer. I went into her room and told her that cupids had left some Valentine treats. They only thing she did was mumble and pulled her blanket over her head after shooting me a dirty look. When I told her the cupids left something resembling a princess book, she sat right up and with a big smile on her face asked, "Where is it?" I must make a mental note to always include the word "princess" whenever I want her to do something.
She was so excited with her book, that she forgot to look at the rest of her loot. After a little gentle coaxing on my part, she delved further into her Valentine's Day mailbox. When her little fingers found this heart shaped necklace my mom had sent, she gave a little shriek, and immediately asked if she could put it on. Hearts and pink stuff. Two of her most favorite things. She couldn't help modeling her swanky new necklace. And for the record, she came up with those poses herself. I honestly don't know where she comes up with this stuff.
The bling Nate and I got her was a little more gaudy yet much more delicious. I had honestly forgotten how good Ring Pops are. Bryn also insisted on wearing her new headbands after she got out of her pajamas. The way she wore her headband reminded me of a cross between a ninja and a 80's workout chic. I find it completely endearing and when we are out shopping at the grocery store, I just smile at all the gawking strangers. I am sure they secretly wish they could pull off wearing a headband the way Bryn does.
Breakfast consisted of pink heart shaped pancakes drizzled in raspberry syrup with a side of heart shaped strawberries. The kids were heaven. There is something to be said about food presentation and the willingness of kids to eat their food. I was too busy enjoying my raspberry syrup to bother with pictures. Nate got home that evening with more gifts which included a floor-size Disney Princess puzzle. I thought Bryn was going to have a coronary.
Hudson was equally impressed with his new stuffed monkey and was quick to proclaim Nate as the "Number One Dad In The World." As of late, Hudson has grown quite fond of Bryn's Momma Monkey. Usually Bryn is willing to share her toys with Hudson, but Momma Monkey is not just any toy and she has strictly forbidden Hudson to touch her. Momma Monkey has been the catalyst in numerous fights over the last few weeks, so Nate thought that if he got Hudson his very own monkey, it would solve all the problems. It was a nice thought. . .
0 comments:
Post a Comment