Sep 19, 2013

Thanksgiving Part III: The Great Feast

Once we got back to the hotel, everyone went into their rooms to shower and change for the big feast. Brynlee wanted to look extra special for the occasion and decided to rummage through my makeup bag. I was getting Hudson dressed when all of a sudden she started shrieking. I ran into the bathroom and saw blood oozing through her clenched fist. I grabbed a towel to stop the bleeding while Nate went to the gift shop and spent a small fortune on band-aids and Neosporin. Come to find out, her little fingers came into contact with my razor which gave her poor little fingers a few nicks. Brynlee monopolized the conversation before dinner was served, making sure everyone checked out her band-aids while she told them about the "razor bites" she received.


When we got the reception hall, the tables were all set up. We found the "Burk table" and settled in to wait. As fate would have it, what started off as a "few words followed by a blessing," quickly escalated into an impromptu lesson concerning the history of Thanksgiving. I took this as an opportunity to get some pictures of our table and then mentally started making my Christmas lists. 



Hudson was simply too hungry to listen to the guy droning on and on at the microphone, so he began to munch on the nearest thing possible which just so happened to be Nate's finger. After Hudson bit Nate one too many times, Hudson had to settle for gnawing on his own appendages. Imagine his surprise and delight, when they finally announced that "Dinner is served." I'm pretty sure the rest of us were just as excited.



Brynlee and Nate headed over the hors d'oeuvres and filled their plates with crackers and cheese and fresh vegetables. Hudson and I could not get enough of the fresh pico de gallo. Granted, not traditional Thanksgiving food, but I happen to love fresh salsa. We were all ravenous and at that point didn't really care what was considered to be "kosher" Thanksgiving food. 



Then the actual Thanksgiving feast began. Mountains of mashed potatoes and turkey drenched in gravy were immediately consumed by the masses. I'm not going to lie. I must have had at least three homemade rolls. Looking at Hudson, one might think this picture was taken with a mouth full of food. Alas, it was not so; his cheeks are just that chunky.


After eating pumpkin, apple, and pecan pie, we were simply to stuffed to care about anything. Everyone had these big delirious smiles on their face from eating so much food. And the best part about the meal, you ask? Being able to get up, leave the table, and not have to worry about washing a single dish. 




0 comments:

Post a Comment