Jul 22, 2011

Palmyra

In the continuing adventures of Nate, Jen, and Bryn we found ourselves in upstate NY. We had talked to our friends Phil and Amy about going to see Niagara at some point this summer and Phil suggested that we go doing the Hill Cumorah pageant. After minimal convincing we rented a car big enough for the six of us and struck out on a Thursday afternoon. We knew that it was going to be a whirlwind trip, but I don't think we were prepared for just how much driving we were going to do. Between our constant battles trying to keep two children under the age of two entertained during our long drives, we did find time to see some amazing sights, eat some delicious food, and create some great memories.

Now some of you may be aware that little Miss Bryn is quite the seasoned traveler. In fact she's already spent considerable time in Utah, Idaho, Washington, Georgia, South Carolina, Virginia, the District of Columbia, Maryland, Massachusetts, Maine, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, Wisconsin, and now New York (and soon she'll visit her cousins in Arizona). So it came as quite a surprise to us when she just wouldn't settle down in the car. Well we came to find out later that she is now getting 3 of her baby molars. Needless to say, she wasn't a happy camper. Also, it didn't help that we had some very late nights and very early mornings.

Phil's Grandfather was kind enough to let us stay in his beautiful house near Hill Cumorah and even gave us some insider tips from his experience as the Cast Administrator for the pageant. After touring some of the sites and ignoring the "spreaders of Mormon truth" aka the crazy bearded guys with signs and bullhorns. Seriously though, you should have to pass some kind of IQ test before you're allowed to operate a loudspeaker.

First off we stopped at the Palmyra temple. The temple was beautiful, of course, and the grounds were immaculate. We heard a great story about "Hinckley's window" a small clear glass window on the west side of the temple. Now a clear window on any temple which allows people outside to see in, is strange enough in itself, but this particular window was requested site unseen by President Hinckley. Not surprisingly the window overlooks the sacred grove.









Next up we visited the sacred grove. Jen and I spent a lot of time quietly walking, reading the Joseph Smith history, and trying to guess exactly where we thought the first vision actually occurred. I'm sure that the Mecca of Mormonism has a very different feel from the actual Mecca. Our experience was very peaceful and we were glad that there weren't a billion other people there praying with us. It was also great to see the replica Smith cabin and Alvin Smith's home.

                                                                              I'm sure everyone has this picture, but we still like it.



The upper room

Last of all we saw the pageant. While the pageant was amazing, what was even more amazing was the stage. It had it all. Fire, water, smoke, most, lightning, you name it. It was as entertaining as any Broadway show or musical I've ever seen (and a heckuva lot cheaper too).
 



Next stop, Niagara Falls.

1 comments:

TracyH said...

I am so glad you all got to go to Palmyra, so close to where I grew up. I loved seeing your pictures along with Phil & Amy's. Looks like you had beautiful weather too. I <3 NY!

Post a Comment